Wednesday, June 29, 2011

motion sickness


I have always had motion sickness. I've learned to sleep in the car (or boat, or plane) to avoid the queasy awful feeling. About 4 years ago, I discovered Sea-bands (bands with a button that pressed on a pressure point at the wrist) and for the first time, I got to watch my plane land. On that particular late-night flight, we landed in Las Vegas and I excitedly exclaimed to my husband, "I didn't know landings were this beautiful!" - referring to the breathtaking citylights I saw through my window. That clueless comment of course elicited a hearty laugh from my husband.

Sadly, the Sea-bands don't work for me in theme-park rides so my trip to the parks in Florida a couple of months ago made me realize how limiting my motion sickness is. At first, I bravely got on the Jimmy Neutron ride at Universal muttering, "What could Jimmy Neutron do to me?" Hah! Famous last words! So I missed out on the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit and the Harry Potter Dragon Challenge which my friends raved about and went on twice, Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-Rat Barges and the Jurassic Park River Adventure and ended up guarding handbags alone outside almost every ride. But what broke my heart was not being able to tour the Hogwarts Castle because it required "soaring above the castle grounds".

Even cable cars make me dizzy. Sigh. Life in slow motion. 

Photo from bippityboppityboo.

No comments:

Post a Comment