Tuesday, August 28, 2012

shade or shine


On our trip to the beach here during the past long weekend, the sun hardly shone. It was really cloudy and it rained a lot. But I guess it's true what they say that even when the sun doesn't seem to be there, the sun's UV rays are everywhere. Coz look at Noah's sunburn...


Poor Noah's goggles turned him into a masked-superhero. :(

They say here that harmful UV rays can pass through clouds, umbrellas and windows. The left side of this truck driver's face is proof that UV rays penetrate through windows.


Horrible, right?

For the longest time, I worried about UV damage when Noah went outside to play on our street. I would cut short his outdoor playtime because I didn't know of any brand with a non-recreational/non-swim sunblock that was gentle enough for kids. I used to wish Johnson's Baby would make their UV Lotion available in the Philippines. The strange thing is that when they finally launched a daily sun protection lotion here, I still hadn't gotten into the habit of applying it on Noah - especially now that summer is over.

But my poor masked-boy's sunburn has made me see the light.

Shade...


Or shine...


... I should make sure Noah is protected from the sun's harmful rays. Yes, this guilty mom has truly seen the light.

What about you? Are you also guilty of letting your kids play in the shade without sunblock?

Photos are my own and from nyctaughtme and here via acupofjo.

No comments:

Post a Comment