Saturday, October 29, 2011

Today, I am un-loving...


Today, I am un-loving... the effect of barcode scanners on the length of grocery receipts these days. Don't get me wrong, I am aware of the many benefits of barcodes. But the barcode scanners have led to cashiers scanning every single product in your grocery cart. Even if you have say, 14 tetra-packs of chocolate milk. So your receipt has 14 lines of chocolate milk when pressing the buttons 1, 4 and x on the cash register before scanning would have resulted in just 2 lines on your receipt.

I checked. 14 lines is about 2 unnecessary inches of paper. Imagine how many unnecessary inches are added to your grocery receipt -- especially if you're doing the grocery for a whole month's supply!

Today, I am un-loving... the unnecessary environmental harm our ultra-long grocery receipts these days are causing.

Photo from here.

Click here for previous posts from the Today, I am un-loving... series.

No comments:

Post a Comment