Sunday, April 22, 2012

Singapore cabs


Am going to Singapore for work tomorrow. I'm excited because I lived in Singapore for a very short while a few years back so I think of it as my second home. And the thing I miss most about the place is their cab system.

I can't help feel nostalgic when I hear the recording answer with "Comfort/City Cab. For pick-up at... press 1. For pick-up at... press 2... Please don't hang up. We are processing your destination." Then in a second, "Taxi number 8D22 will be at your destination in 3 to 5 minutes."

I love that they record your latest 2 destinations so you don't have to dictate it to an operator all the time. They say it's hard to get a cab right before 12mn, before the cab rates go up, but I've never ever been stranded. A cab always comes. Yes, they will complain about traffic - muttering "Jam!" angrily - even when it is just a 5-car build-up at a stoplight. And yes, you need to learn to pronounce your destination in their accent to get there - Penang Road is "Pineng Road" and "House" is "How" to them. But I always, always got there.


Would be perfect if Singapore cabs turned this pretty since my last visit.


But even if they didn't, Singapore cabs will always have a special place in my heart. :)

Photos from annnniegirl. 

2 comments: